From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 07:05:36 -0700
Yesterday was our Breastfeeding Task Force meeting ...and we had to change
our Agenda.

Our first guest was a 17 Year Old Life Boy Scout - who is working towards
his Eagle.

Those of you with sons in scouting know that the Eagle project can be a
real "killer" - the scout has to develop a project, fund it, and lead a
group of scouts in completing it.  It's evidence of Leadership (and often
parent's patience - I was involved in a series of brush-clearings and
bridge buildings with our 2!)

Well, our young Scout's Eagle project is....(drum roll)
...building nursing stools for our WIC moms!  He and his team will be
building 25 stools.

We were very excited and happy - thinking not only of the stools for the
moms - but the experience that those young men (and their parents) will
have learning that breastfeeding is important enough to spend some time
making mom feel important.

Yes, I know, stools are not necessary for breastfeeding.  But don't you
think there will be some important conversations related to breastfeeding
among these young men?

...and yes, his mom sees moms in the "Baby Club" at one of our local
hospitals - and had reported to him how much the moms appreciated the
stools there while they met (usually it's a group) and discussed
breastfeeding issues (babies are seen 24 hours after discharge) as well as
having each baby checked.

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
NEW e-mail address: [log in to unmask]