From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 21:22:28 EDT
Pat writes,

<< what if you sent mom home feeding in
 an alternative manner (using shield, finger feeding, cup feeding) - doesn't
 the hospital realize they are out on a limb (legally) and sawing if they
 don't provide adequate follow-up.  >>

I unfortunately have seen this frequently lately and am shocked and
frustrated with moms I see post discharge, anywhere from day 3 - day 7 or
more, who leave the hospital not breastfeeding, given finger feeder, cup,
nipple shield with no follow up whatsoever.  No "call us," "return to our
Lactation Center," " call this LC or that LC," nor do they (moms) get a call
from hosp LC's or staff; also no written instructions on how to use the
equipment they're given.  I watched one mom who'd been shown how to finger
feed in hosp., finger feeding with pad-side down and a shallow placement only
up to her first knuckle.  What really scares me is what about the moms who
don't call me?
I've spoken to the MD who's medical director of the lactation center but
don't know if that's had any impact.  It's just not a good situation.  One
other hosp. calls all moms and refers without hesitation.

I'd be more than willing to collaborate and help write protocol, procedures
for alternative equip., etc but I know it won't be accepted.  In a perfect
world there wouldn't be so many egos and all would be working together to
help mom and baby breastfeed.  I do know it can work, just would love to see
more of it.

Pat, your post just struck a nerve.  Any suggestions for how I could better
effect change is welcome!

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC
Brewster, NY