From:
Bonnie Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 10:10:32 -0400
I am sorry I missed the original post regarding a mother with a history of
infertility and problems with low milk production.  I question if there is a
relationship between the two.

Infertility is such a broad term.  There are so many causes for it
(structural, hormonal, male factors, subfertility with both partners
contributing, etc.)  It's difficult to compare one couple diagnosed with
infertility to another couple.

Usually the hormone given to "maintain" pregnancy is natural progesterone,
which the pregnant woman produces in large amounts anyway.  Many infertile
patients probably don't even need it (although some undoubtedly do).  It's
used more in a supportive way during the first trimester in case the mother
is not producing enough.  After going to all the trouble of infertility
treatments, it's a kind of an insurance policy.

I would be tempted to look harder at breastfeeding management or other
causes before I got too excited about infertility as a cause.  It would help
to be very specific about the cause of the infertility when considering it
as a factor in low milk production.  My information is completely anecdotal
(and from a fairly small sample of friends and acquaintances), but I haven't
met any women who became pregnant while being treated for infertility who
subsequently had problems with milk supply.

Sincerely,

Bonnie in Laurel,Maryland