From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 12:22:39 +0100
A pumped sample isn't an accurate way of knowing what's happening at the
breast with the baby, so an observation that the milk doesn't look
fatty, isn't that useful.  In terms of her diet, she cannot increase fat
content of her milk by increasing her own fats, but she may wish to try
and make sure that she's taking in the right sorts of fats: so she
should check her intake of  ALA (flaxseed oil is a prime source) or DHA
(prefarably through eating a lot of fresh oily fish)- or both!.  If
she's vegatarian, she needs to be ingesting high amounts of ALA, as only
about 20% of it converts.  That way, if there is a fat issue, she's at
least loading the fats to be the type of fats the baby needs most.

I'd suspect that there is problem in let down, and therefore would
suggest she have her thyroid levels checked, as well as continuing to
monitor the baby for motor problems.  More from one breast than the
other may be about the baby's mouth and positioning (even with the pump).

Morgan Gallagher