From:
"Lisa A. Marasco" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 1995 17:44:56 -0700
Linda,
While I did not get my periods back that early, I did get them back
between 4 and 6 mos with all four of my children, regardless of my
attempts to practice ecological breastfeeding and sustain amenorrhea. It
was quite a disappointment for me, but out of my control I was also a
pretty big milk producer, though not to the extent of the mother you
describe. My babies were able to "tank up" pretty quickly, 5-10 minutes,
after a couple of months, and when I donated milk for a baby, the
caretakers said that they had to "dilute" my milk because it was too rich
for the baby! (?)  I have given much thought to this, and I think for
starters that my babies probably did not spend as much time at breast as
the average "reference" baby does. Perhaps this is the downside of being
an abundant producer who doesn't need a lot of stimulation to maintain
supply? I am guessing that I have a higher or lower threshold hormonally,
depending on how you look at it, though I don't know which hormone is the
balance kicker. Anyone want to take the ball down court a little further?
-Lisa

Lisa A. Marasco, IBCLC                                /  [log in to unmask]
International Board Certified Lactation Consultant    /  [log in to unmask]