From:
Mary Jozwiak IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:52:23 -0500
Dear Natalia,

Good job on discovering that you may be experiencing Overactive Let down or
Foremilk Hindmilk Imbalance! I have written several articles and presented
some seminar sessions on this subject (in addition to having it myself.)

I see no need to introduce a pump into situations like this. Your baby is
well versed in eliciting your ejection. My suggestion would be to *take the
baby OFF the breast during the initial ejection of each nursing*. Just for
less than a minute, let the milk flow (or in most cases spray) into a clean
cloth diaper or burp rag. Then put the baby back on the breast and use that
breast for about 4 hours or so, whenever the baby wants to, using your
comfort as a guide as to when to use the other. Always take the baby off of
the breast duing the first ejection, and then nurse the baby normally.
Babies in this situaion usually are gulping and gasping and even gagging,
so it is not hard to tell when the ejection is happening.

Some mothers only need to do this for a matter of weeks until their letdown
is "tamed" others need to do it for much longer. There is no way to tell
how long. Usually within a few days the baby is more comfortable and
happier.

IF there was a dairy issue, however, it is NOT the lactose YOU are taking
in that is causing the problem,(the amount of lactose in your diet has NO
effect on the amount of lactose in your milk) it is the Bovine Milk Protein
in milk products. Even "one" yogurt a day is enough to keep the Protein in
your blood, and to perhaps transfer it to your baby. When *any* dairy
intolerance is suspected, it is best to eliminate it completely. Yogurt is
really not a magic food, and has no better or less allergenic protien than
any other dairy products.

You can also go to the www.lalecheleague.org site for my complete article,
as well as Melissa Vickers excellent article "Finish the First Breast
First" both will help you under stand OER, F/H Imbalance and how to remedy
these problems. (If you can't find them, e mail me, and I will send them to
you via e mail.)

Kudos to you for investigating and learning!

Mary Jozwiak IBCLC, RLC, LLLL, AAPL
Private Practice