Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 10:24:51 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
Hi, I have a question.  I was asked for some advice (or just if I had some information) from an RN friend who is very pro-breastfeeding (used to be
in LLL).  She works in OB and is right now helping her niece who has a little boy at 32 weeks.  Has had no bottles, pacifiers or formula but has
been getting fortifier in his breastmilk.  Nurses  on demand or every 2 hours, if possible, but since he tires easily,  they have been giving 36cc's
total supplement every 3 hours .  Baby may go home today to the dismay of his aunt (she feels more comfortable with his being monitored for he
is only 34 weeks in two days).  One doctor says stay but the one seen yesterday is confident with mom, aunt, baby and situation.  Babe gained
1 oz two days in a row.  Last night he was 4lbs. 9 oz., was 4lbs 6 at birth.

Anyway, just wanted to give a little background info.  The question---RN aunt wants to know if the fortifier should still be added when baby comes
home.  She feels he is doing fine, mom pumps for 3 minutes then nurses and she pumps to remove more hindmilk when he stops and they use
the hindmilk to supplement.  She is not sure which doctor will release and they both have differing opinions and wonders if there is a research
article or if it is individual baby and health about how long fortifier is needed.  Nancy Wight, what say you?  Anyone else?  I am searching through
all of my Paula Meier folders, getting the trancutaneos oxygen references and such, also (their NICU has been giving them a hard time about not
giving any bottles, they don't believe her when she tells them that breastfeeding is easier for the premie than the bottle.).

Thank you for your wisdom and help.

Cheryl Marian, clc, cle

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2