From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 08:41:07 -0500

<< My understanding from JHL was that it is thought that cabbage only works
 because it is cold and we know the cold reduces swelling.

   However, my experiences with cabbage is the same as yours. Keep it by
 the bed and reapply when wilted.  If you want to use cold only use for 20
 minutes. >>

Why would we limit use to 20 minutes if it is cold?  It only STAYS cold for a
few minutes -- body heats it up pretty quickly, especially on engorged
breasts.  And, if it was just the cold, then icy compresses would do the same
trick, and they don't.

The thing that frustrates me about the literature is that no one has
replicated the first article that really came out about it -- Bf Review, Nov,
1987, (or 88?) by Wendy Rosier, in which it was applied for up to 2 hours at
a time.

When i recommend using cabbage, I recommend putting it on "until the breasts
feel different -- tingly, or milk dripping -- or 2 hours, whichever comes
first."  Then mom can take it off for a couple of hours, put baby to breast
if soft enough -- if not, express milk, and then put on again if need be.  An
article in JOGNN indicated that 20 minutes 4 times a day simply doesn't cut
it.

I do recommend the use of icy compresses -- and mom can put it over the
cabbage if she likes.  Let's not make this too complex -- make it easy for
her!

And I agree -- we can use it on lots of injuries.  The Romans once built a
temple to honor cabbage (read about that in the Chicago Tribune).  I have the
dubious distinction of being the only LC alive that has had to defend cabbage
in court (a divorce/custody dad claiming mom crazy case).

The inside of a banana peel will reduce bruising too.

Jan Barger