From:
Jean Geary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 20:40:45 -0400
This evening CBC Radio (Canada's National Radio Station) led off their As It
Happens program with a story on the unethical behavior of Nestle and other
infant formula manufacturers in developing countries.  The story was
triggered by the release of a UNICEF report called The Progress of Nations,
which contained an article by The Right Reverend Simon Barrington Ward.  He
is a member of the British House of Lords and very high up in the Church of
England.
Apparently his article was quite scathing; I haven't seen it yet.  INFACT
Canada was contacted to comment on Nestle's statements refuting the Bishop's
allegations.  Unfortunately I did not hear the actual broadcast as I was in
transit.  If anyone heard it, please call CBC with your comments.  The more
they receive, the greater the liklihood of a follow-up story.  In Toronto,
the comment line number is 205-3331.  (At the LLLI Conference, I discovered
that this program is aired on the radio in Washington around midnight - I
don't know about other parts of the US).

INFACT should soon be getting a copy of the report -- I presume they are
available from UNICEF.

Jean Geary
Fundraiser, INFACT Canada   www.infactcanada.ca   [log in to unmask]