From:
Laura J Aldag <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 1995 21:46:13 -0700
According to the USDA guidelines for storage of breastmilk, it should be
treated as any other perishable food and not kept out of refrigeration
for more than 2 hours, 1 hour above 90 F.  However, some of the
information I have seen from other sources indicate that bm can be left
at room temperature for up to 8 hours.  I have some concerns about this
recommendation, especially in the summer time  and also since many of our
clients have poor sanitation habits.  So, I am conservative and continue
to recommend to the breastfeeding counselors in our project to tell moms
to keep breastmilk refrigerated....not sitting out at room temperature
more than 1-2 hours. I would love to hear what other lactnetters think
about this.

tia,

Laura Aldag