Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 20:40:56 EDT
gee, cathy, you are far more generous than me. i will give someone five
minutes or more over the phone and then tell them what i could do for them in
a consult if they wish to see me. if not, then they are not going to get a 45
minute phone consultation for free - i charge for those, too. not only are
you giving them something for free which they could get from another source
(LLL), NMC for example), but you are giving them the impression that
something can managed over the phone and a "real" visit is not needed.

and before someone points out a loophole here, i mostly have phone clients
that live in remote places and would have to make a very large effort to
drive to "the big city" to be seen, and they are generally clients of
midwives who can give me a pretty good visual picture of what is going on.
and part of dealing with people on the phone is the "you have to see (ped,
lc, emergency room, etc.)" part - knowing when to insist they be seen by
somebody or other. maybe this mom is just seeking permission to wean, as in
"i tried everything and even talked to the lc several times, but there was
just nothing that could be done."

carol brussel IBCLC
laura nevada lactation