From:
Bracha Haskel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2006 12:11:49 +0200
A mother of a 13 month old is being told to wean by the gastroentologist. Baby was born 3.750. Weight at three months 6.300, 6 months 7.050. Now at 13 months, 8.100. Height and head circumference normal. Baby eats small amounts of many foods. Mom tries to give as high calorie foods as possible. Baby's iron is "borderline low", not yet checked for b-12 or zinc.
Doctor claims child will not be able to learn to read in first grade unless mom weans NOW! (What luck this was a phone call and the mom couldn't see my facial expressions) She weaned her other children at 7 months and is enjoying the breastfeeding relationship. I did mention to mom that there's no guarantee that wieght gain will improve after weaning.
What else should be considered first?
Bracha Haskel IBCLC