From:
Dianne Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 09:35:51 -0700
Dear Renee,

>He went on to say that he thinks that I should teach about the
>"benefits" of formula and teach patients more about formula in my class,
>because, as nurses it is our responsibility to give patients informed
>consent.  He feels that my class is "one sided" ...

All I could think of as I read your post was "Does this person know that
you are a LACTATION consultant?????"  Not a formula rep, not a person
brought in to espouse the benefits of all possible alternatives in all
possible situations.  If he'd like to see the benefits of formula being
taught, possibly he'd like to take on the task.

I know that in my years as a LLL leader, when moms call me and ask whether
a certain formula is o.k. for a supplement, I tell them matter-of-factly
that I know nothing about formula; that is a question that their
pediatrician may be able to answer!  I have a similar stance when working
with moms in my part-time private practice.

Now, I understand that the politics behind your position may prevent you
from taking such a direct stance, but it seems to me that your work should
be devoted almost exclusively to helping moms breastfeed, not formula feed.

Sincerely,
Dianne Oliver, LLLL, IBCLC
Simi Valley, CA