From:
Deborah S-Q <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 13:15:54 +0000
Jo-Anne wrote  "I think it also helps to say that "most
mothers do not need a pump." I think it is helpful to talk about hand
expression "
I agree Jo-Anne. This discussion on pumps has been interesting. Last week I
had a mom ask me what kind of pump she should buy? She is pregnant with her
first child, due in month or so. I always ask "are you going back to work?"
because, although I don't recommend any type of pump, and do explain that
different women prefer different brands, if it is a work-related separation
then the efficiency and quality of the pump is a factor.She is not going
back to work for a year and hesitantly told me that, altho she is not sure
if this is a good idea as she is aware of nipple confusion, she is thinking
about her husband giving a bottle of EBM so she can have a long stretch of
sleep.
I acknowledged that yes, nipple confusion could be a possibility and
discussed other options such as a cup for the baby.I suggested the LLL
handout on hand expression as I said she might not want to put out the money
for a pump for expression for this purpose and that it was useful to learn
how to hand-express and that some moms found this was all they needed.I also
cautioned that she might end up uncomfortable during those long stretches of
sleep (she was hoping for about 6 hours)and might find that she wanted to
nurse the baby.
She was very open to all information. I am finding that the moms we are
seeing now are more educated in general about breastfeeding - but most do
seem to think that they need a pump to breastfeed.
Deborah Sowery-Quinn
Canada