From:
Roni Chas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Dec 1997 12:03:48 EST
Hi, I am new to Lactnet and I have learned so much from reading all the posts.
I am a certified childbirth instructor (Lamaze) and I have been a visiting
nurse for the last 18 years working in a maternal and childhealth program. I
work with many breastfeeding moms and I feel that I have contributed to many
of the moms continuing to nurse.
I have also had several babies over the years with cardiac problems. Typically
some of these babies have such rapid heartbeats that they burn more calories
then they take in. With babies on ABM we get the doctors to agree to 24
calories feedings which makes the difference in their weight gain.  I have not
seen to many of these babies that are breastfed, by the time I see them they
have been hospitalized for long periods of time. Unfortunately, here in
Queens, NYC, we  have no baby friendly hospitals.
Happy and Healthy New Year, and thanks for all the wonderful information.
Roni M. Chastain, RN, FACCE