From:
Karen Gromada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2012 00:35:39 -0400
Hi Lisa ~

Much will depend on babies' gestational age at birth. With twins, she's
more likely to be initiating adequate lactation via milk expression.
(Average length of gestation with twins is 35-36 weeks.) Of course, stable
preterm or late preterm twins should be able to kangaroo and go to breast,
but she still may have to depend on expression initially. However, some of
us definitely do go to term and I encourage her to aim for the full 40! (My
twins were born at 40 weeks, 5 days.)

If term and breastfeeding from the get-go, some moms find their inverted
nipples evert much more easily with subsequent babies. Also, few women with
inverted nipples find both are inverted to exactly the same degree -- one
tends to be more so than the other. Likewise, few twins demonstrate exactly
the same breastfeeding behaviors/abilities. She may have one that latches
more easily than the other. If so, she can test each baby on each breast to
see if one finds it easier to latch onto and suckle with the "more
difficult" inverted nipple. If needed, she can "assign" breasts as works
for each until both nipples evert well.

If this expectant MOT has a computer, I'd highly encourage her to subscribe
(free) to the Yahoo group APMultiples via
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/apmultiples/. There are hundreds of
MOT/MOTrip worldwide and almost all (if not all) breastfed and/or
breastmilk-fed their multiples. There's more likely to be one or more who
has one/both inverted nipples who will have other ideas for her! The
expectant MOT you're working with is likely to find excellent support for
this and other twin-related issues (breastfeeding and otherwise) via this
group. She may also be interested in the Facebook page re: Mothering
Multiples: Breastfeeding and Caring for Twins or More.

All the best to her! Hope to "meet" her on APMultiples or the MM FB page!

Karen G

--
Karen Gromada
www.karengromada.com/