From:
Jeanne Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2007 22:23:54 -0500
Christine,
Our hospital designates as "Near Term" any infant under 38 weeks and not in
the NICU.  We do treat these infants differently, monitering temperature,
respirations and heart rate every 4 hours, checking bilirubin and blood
sugars periodically, and doing a car seat study.  We have babies as young as
35 weeks and as small as 4 lbs 12 oz.  They don't behave like full term
babies and need extra breastfeeding support.

We developed our guidelines from the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine
(protocol #10) at www.bfmed.org and from AWHONN at www.awhonn.org

We haven't been able to make any changes in the number of inductions.  Women
are delivered by scheduled appointment, and those who "walk in off the
street" can be made to feel like they have inconvenienced the staff.

It's so sad.
Jeanne Mitchell
Austin, TX