Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 16:36:39 EST
Dear Lactnetters,
     I am breastfeeding my 3rd baby sucessfully except for one development.
My daughter at 3 mo developed occassional mucus/bloody stools.  At 5 months
it was finally diagnosed as probably milk or soy protien intolerance through
my own diet protiens passing into the milk.  I was recommended to try to
breastfeed for a year or if I had to wean to go to nutramigen or pregestamil.
 I had not planned on weaning I nursed my last daughter until 3yo.
     Now I have been told I will be sent to Korea for 51/2 weeks unacompanied
to Camp Casey in the demilitarized zone on the North Korean boarder to fill
in while one doctor leaves and another one arrives.  I am in the active duty
army.  My command told me to start my daughter on formula and if her gut
bleeds they will make it a medical emergency that I not be sent.
     My daughter is 6 mo old now.  I have been cutting back on the dairy and
the soy.  Also pumping extra milk and freezing it incase I have to go.  No
blood or mucus in the stool on the formula I have subsituted at the daycare
for my breastmilk.  But foul gas, foul stool and colic has developed, I
stopped giving it to her after one week at the request of my husband.
     When I go she will be 81/2 mo old and 91/2 almost 10 mo when I return.
What are the chances she will go back to the breast?  She really loves
breastfeeding, sleeps with me at night.  Actually fought the bottle for the
first 2 mo I went back to work where I had to feed her at drop off , lunch
and pick up because she would go all day and only take 1 oz from the bottle,
she is doing better now around 9 oz while I am gone.  Please if anyone has
experience with a baby this age and prolonged abcense please write me back.

Thanks Cynthia S. Marske DO