From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2007 08:30:38 -0500
I find that absolutely no one reads the instructional booklets, not the
moms and the worst is not hospital staff either! I have moms telling me
that the hospital told them to wash their collection kit (NICU baby) by
just rinsing in hot water! I tell them soap and hot water, soak a few
minutes in a bowl in the sink, then rinse really well, at least twice,
and air dry on a paper towel. They are often shocked because they say
"the hospital said just rinse it and don't use soap." How can a hospital
be so careless?? And I hear this from various hospitals so can't pin it
down to just one. My other issue that I posted about a few weeks ago is
how no one is using the Medela old style piston manual pump right,
either. I also have moms using the Medela sterilizer bags given out by a
hospital (which are great) but the bags say just rinse well and then use
the bags. Moms tell me their collection kit pieces do not come clean
doing this. And again, this is with NICU babies. I ,of course, say wash
well with soap and water and rinse twice, then use the sterilizer bags
once a day if you want. We have a local pump dealer here whom moms tell
me charges more to show how to use the pumps she sells, so moms do not
want to pay more, and come home not using the machine correctly. And
again, they have not even read the instructional booklet! The handout by
Barbara Wilson Clay on pumping for a premature baby goes into detail
about cleaning the parts and how to use a bowl or your cooler in the
sink, especially in the hospital, rather than soaking the pieces
directly in the sink that might be germ laden.

And the worst part is, almost all American women think they MUST have a
breast pump, and now we have so few using it correctly or cleaning it
properly.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC