Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2013 10:14:55 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
I teach privately one-on-one or in small groups, outside of a hospital ,and I do include some basic information on paced bottle feeding.  However, the families I'm teaching are all returning to work, so there is a NEED for this information in class and to be presented appropriately.  It always falls at the END of class, in a section on resolving challenges.  In that section I discuss WHO guidelines for supplementation - as so many mothers are not told they can pump and supplement with their own milk,  I often have 2nd and 3rd time Moms who are stunned to find this is an option that was never suggested with previous births.  I present cup and spoon feedings, as well as paced bottle feedings with information that if this type of feeding is NEEDED, they should be working with an experienced IBCLC to resolve whatever problems exist that is requiring the alternative feeding method.

I find in virtually every single individual consult I have, there is or will be a need for bottle feedings - either a return to work or planned events without baby.  And there too I present this information.

Lastly, when I do my physician reports, if I've discussed bottle feeding with the Mom, I include my handout on Paced Bottle Feeding for the doctors.  Many have contacted me, thanking me for the information that they had not previously been exposed to before.

I understand the Baby Friendly documentation on the restriction of this information in a general class in a maternity ward - and since I'm not teaching in that situation, I don't see that I'm violating anything.  

On a personal note, I do not agree with the idea that we cannot explain basics of bottle feeding.  In the US, whether we like it or not, bottle feeding is often considered the norm, and most if not all parents will find the need to use a bottle at some time or another.  Withholding this information seems innappropriate to me.  Perhaps in a hospital setting it would be useful to check with the mom if she intends to return to work and if so, provide her with written information on bottle feeding 'when she returns to work' so she has the info she needs to bottle feed in the most breastfeeding supportive way.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth...
Jillian Malan, LLLL, IBCLC
Michigan

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2