From:
Martin Gaynor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 12:25:40 -0500
I am in need of any info. anyone has on galactorrhea. I have the info.
that is in Lawrence and Riordan and Auerbach. I don't think any of my
other resources have any info. on it.

My co-leader has referred two sisters to me. (because I have more
extensive resources available than she does).

I have not yet talked extensively to these women, but here is what I
know so far: They have both stopped nursing at least a year ago, one
sister can still express milk, the other does not(don't know if she has
actually tried), but she says she can "smell" milk.

The sister who can still express BM was seen by a doc yesterday(don't
yet know what type of doc).Apparently she had her prolactin level
tested, and it is "slightly elevated".

This about all I know so far. I just thought I'd put in my request for
info. on this as soon as possible .

I know galactorrhea is sometimes associated with pituitary and thyroid
problems. Is is also possible for a woman to have this situation for no
apparent reason, and just live with it and everything is ok?

I had an acquaintance, who one day mentioned that she experienced what
is apparently galactorrhea, her youngest at that time was about 5 years
old.
I am not sure if she mentioned any other things that were felt to be the
cause; I don't think so. I think she just lived with it.

Does it ever go away?

As you can see  I could really use any info. anyone can offer about this.

Should I suggest that these sisters see an endocrinologist?

TIA,
Ellen Vegh, LLLL, in Pittsburgh