From:
Rachel Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 2015 22:39:50 -0400
I'm needing some other opinions on a friend's case that is stumping me!

Third time mom has baby girl that is just over 2 months old. This baby just seems to "hate breastfeeding". She will be happy and content and all smiles then go to crying and fighting mom whenever she tries to breastfeed. Then, as soon as breastfeeding is over, baby goes back to complete happiness again. Baby is "super unpredictable and not a content nurser". Mom started having trouble with some forceful letdown issues around 2 weeks of life and breastfeeding has gone progressively worse from there. The letdown really isn't an issue at this point but Mom has to pretty much dream feed her baby or she won't eat. She won't voluntarily nurse. Mom offers baby a bottle every couple of days and "its hit or miss, but she will usually take it." Mom doesn't want baby to get hooked on the bottle and she does not have time to become an exclusive pumper. Baby keeps up with letdown just fine while dream feeding and Mom hasn't changed her diet in any way. Baby is appropriately gaining weight although slipping in percentiles. Mom tells me latch is good and she is in no pain. Her husband is a dentist and says there is no lip or tongue ties.

Mom met with an LC about 3 weeks ago where she lives. Baby had very good transfer (4 oz from one side) and the LC determined that she had a "relatively fast letdown with an abundant, though not necessarily, over-supply."

I suggested trying some rebirthing baths to mom today. Any other thoughts or ideas are much appreciated!!!

Rachel Smith, RN, IBCLC
Logan, UT, USA