Date:
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 07:52:22 -0500
>Listened to a very interesting speaker on a ped tape.  He gave the
>historical background of strep infections by culling literature.  It seems
>that strep waxes and wanes and we are in a period of resurgence at this
>time.  That's why we are hearing about things like "flesh eating disease."
>It was recognized before in pre-antibiotic days.

Pat, does "this waxing and waning" explain the Beta Strep stuff?  It is a
rare mother who doesn't test positive.  They are all given antibiotics,
which leads to "you know what."

One mom tested positive during the pregnancy, was re-tested before the
birth and was negative...they gave her the abx anyway.  Why did the test?

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee

mailto:[log in to unmask]