Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2006 14:23:18 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
I actually had a good experience in the postpartum unit, 13 years ago at Kapiolani Hospital in Honolulu.  I think a lot depended on the message I sent the staff and the tone set, but just as important was the policy of the hospital.  They knew that I knew what I was doing and that I didn't want to be disturbed.  I asked that interruptions be kept to a minimum, that as much as possible, our routine care be done concurrently, and that otherwise, I didn't need anything.  Kapiolani's quality of care was definitely mother/baby centered and they respected their patients' wishes; I'd have another baby there in a heartbeat.  I think if pp units wanted nursing care to be more mother/baby friendly they could; it just not easy for them, so they don't bother.  And patients don't follow up with letters letting hospital management know that they don't find current practices acceptable, so they get away with it.  That's the real problem; everyone complains, but until mothers start letting hospital administrators know they'll take their business elsewhere if things don't improve, they won't.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2