From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 1996 01:25:53 -0400
Hi All!
Well, here I am no-mail, and I need your help.  Here is the situation:

1st baby:  Mom never got a milk supply in more than 5ml per breast per
pumping.  SHe got started pumping late, baby was a few weeks early, mom was
really stressed out.  We figured that the main problem might have been
stress.

2nd baby:  Born 2 wks ago, 6 wks early.  Mom starts pumping right away every
2-3 hours around the clock.  She has been pumping faithfully (hubby assured
me of this and I know her well enough to know that she is working very hard
this time)  stress level is low.  Baby is small, but healthy, came home at
4lbs 5 oz.  Will BF like a champ, both mom and baby love the BF a lot.
Problems:
Mom has been pumping every 2-2.5 hrs around the clock, is taking Blessed
Thistle and Marshmellow/Fenugreek herbs to help up supply.  She gets ONLY
5-7mls per breast per pumping.  Baby takes 10-12 oz per 24hrs, and mom can
only produce about 1/3 of what baby needs.  She knows that this is not where
her supply should be.  I know this is not where her supply should be.  By
now, her supply should be more than what baby needs, not less, especially
with as hard as she has been working.
I have suggested:
See Dr and have pituitary, thyroid and all hormone levels checked, get
thourough physical and check for possible lack of glandular tissue (since I
don't do hands on I can't check for her.  Besides, I don't think I would know
what lack of glandular tissue would feel like anyway!  Do I have more
learning to do or what??).  She refuses to try Reglen, because someone told
her there was a slight risk of irreparable teret syndrome (Is this true?
 What are the side effects of Reglen, anyway?).

What else can I suggest?  Is there something that I have missed?  I did bring
up, gently, the possibility that some women have this type of problem when
they have a history of abuse.  This is something she has not confided to me
about, so I don't know if that is a possibility or not.

Any ideas?  All input will be greatly appreciated.  This mom is dedicated,
but wants to be realistic as well.
Please send any replies to my e-mail address of    [log in to unmask]  since I
am currently no-mail.

TIA!!
Jay Simpson

PS  We are in the countdown stages for our move on Saturday!  It is amazing
how much work needs to be done just to move.  Now, if we can just get
everything packed in time!!