From:
Maureen Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:01:25 EDT
Hi Ann,
I have been doing a NICU breastfeeding class for about 6 and a half  years.
I do it every other Sunday AM (before visitors) on our high-risk  antenatal
unit.What I will tell you that it IS a support group as well.   And that is SO
not a bad thing.  It sounds like you are planning to do  this as an outpatient
basis.  These women may be very isolated at home on  bedrest and may view
coming to your class as a "treat."
Consider having someone from the NICU be at the class (if you have not
worked as a staff nurse in the NICU).  Many questions come up that have  little to
do with breastfeeding and more about parenting in the NICU.   Prior to being
an LC in the NICU, I was a staff nurse for 10 years and I had  plenty of
background to answer most questions.
Basically, I tell them  the correct way to pump, how soon, how  frequently,
how long.  We discuss insurance and how to get a pump from  them.  I give this
to them as a "homework assignment."  I tell them  what services are available
in their area for support after discharge.  I  tell them about kangaroo care
and how we can start breastfeeding with an emptied  breast as soon as their
baby is extubated.  I give them the words to  advocate for themselves for KC and
breastfeeding while they are in the NICU and  am honest that not all care
providers may offer due to their discomfort, but  since the baby is THEIRS, and
not the NICU's, that they should have a very good  explanation why they may not
BF.  I tell them that I am happy to be their  advocate and show them again how
to tell the staff they'd like to breastfeed at  what feeding time.  All of
course, very subtly and with lots of PC!
I tell them briefly how to position the baby in a cross cradle or football
hold, but tell them that their nurse or myself will help with positioning, so
not to worry about that too much--that we will get there as the baby can.
Unfortunately, I have no data, but ZI can tell you that anecdotally that
these mothers are the ones who come off the elevator from L&D asking for a
breast pump!!!!
Good luck!!
Maureen Allen RN, BSN, IBCLC
Boston, MA