From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2008 16:35:11 +1100
Absolutely Lara. And I recall a case history that had been written up (maybe
in Breastfeeding Medicine) of a mother whose Dr refused to consider donor
banked milk for her premmie twins and the mother obtained EBM from her
sister (I think) who unknowingly had CMV. One baby died as a result. Of
course it was the mothers fault...not! The other twin then developed NEC
because they couldn't trust the mother's milk any longer. A completely
avoidable situation and had her health providers been willing to work with
the mother (who only wanted for her baby to be given human milk) harm to
both infants could have been avoided. Now I'm working on memory for this
case hostory so may have some of the details incorrect. The point is that
where prohibitions of donor milk are in place parents will use deception to
get around the rules and this creates unnecessary/avoidable risk.
Karleen Gribble
Australia