Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2013 13:35:41 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
BFHI requirements do vary around the world but here in New Zealand we are required to have a policy to support the mother who won't or can't breast feed. Support implies that we will provide all that is neccessary for her to leave hospital safely bottle feeding her baby. As Rachel says it needs to be individual because of the complexity so the midwife caring for the woman on the ward or her community based midwife (Lead Maternity carer- LMC) will teach as appropriate. As an IBCLC and BFHI Coordinator I include teaching about bottle feeding in my workshops for staff to meet BFHI.
As A BFHI accredited facility all breastfed babies receiving clinically appropriate formula or expressed breastmilk are fed by non teat and bottle method. Only 4.5% of our total birthing population choose not to (rarely can't) breastfeed, so the opportunity to teach doesn't happen very often. 
However by the time women are discharged from the care of their midwife at 6 weeks to a Well Child Provider (WCP) the number of bottle fed (either formula or breastmilk) has significantly increased. The DHB I work for haven't extended access to an IBCLC beyond 6 weeks so support comes form the WCP.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2