From:
Dawn M Kersula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Apr 1998 20:48:17 -0400
        I have seen fingerfeeding junkies.  I'm sure it is what I've heard
Marsha Walker call "a super-stimulus" -- but I've also taught it to moms
and used it (on nights...hmmm...) with some babies, with good back-to-the
breast results.
        Because fingerfeeding can be fairly pleasant and cozy, when we are
working to wean a baby off of it, we try to make eating at the breast a
wondrously pleasant, sociable experience....and feeding from a finger kind
of cold, unsociable, not to be enjoyed anywhere near so much.  A form of
behavior modification, really.  Only needed to do this a few times...thank
God!  But worth a try as at least a part of the equation.
        I'll be interested to hear what other people have to say on this
one.  I used a nipple shield this week for the second time in 15 years!
Mom cried, baby slurped happily, dad helped me write down our "plan" for
weaning from the shield.
        Sometimes I know that the only thing I know for sure is
--breastfeeding works.  Temporary solutions for temporary problems!
+++++++++++++++++Dawn Kersula RN, FACCE, IBCLC and LLLL in So. Vermont
   where the cherry trees are blossoming -- way too soon --