Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 12:42:23 EST
Anna sent us some info from Reuters -- part of it said this:

> While thickening is considered part of the first line treatment for reflux
> disease in infants

And, of course, they are using rice cereal as the thickener.  Why, I wonder,
does decreasing carbs in adults result in decreased heartburn, reflux,
gastric acidity -- etc, while in babies we consider INCREASING carbohydrates
as the treatment of choice?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Of course, we all know that babies aren't humans.  We time their feeds --
"OK, 10 minutes on this side -- ooops, you only did 4 minutes on that side.
Unacceptable.  Gotta do 6 more minutes....." as opposed to
todders/children/adults.  When was the last time you said to your significant
other:  "Sorry -- no snack now.  Dinner will be served in 2 hours."  (though
I know we do it to our kids...duh).  Or to that long-suffering SO -- "Well, I
see you only ate dinner for 7 minutes.  You know, you haven't eaten enough
unless you eat for 25 minutes.  Keep at it, babe!"

So why consider that DECREASING carbs and increasing protein and fat in the
diet might help babies w/ reflux?

Sigh.

Jan in Wheaton - who does NOT want to hear a single mumblin' word from
well-meaning folks about low carb diets.... 'K?  BTDT -- too many times!