From:
Karen Evon IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 22:37:07 EDT
Hi Janaki, and everyone else who is home :(  i.e. not at ILCA.

Why haven't I seen any lactnet mail from Fla?  HUH???  You all are having too
much fun, I know it !

Janaki, I have helped several women with very large, soft, pendulous (sp?)
breasts to pump just fine w/ the standard flange.  A breast SLING might
help...see picture in  "Bestfeeding".

Support from a well fitting bra. is also helpful especially if the bra has an
inner shelf.

Breast massage while pumping can help get thoes deep and hard to reach
sinuses.

Also, some lg breasted moms benefit from "massage, stroke, shake" before
pumping and breast massage with the other hand while pumping.

Teach these special women how to hand express correctly and deeply to get to
thoes deep sinuses.

Do you subscribe to the "Pumping Moms" list?  That may be a good place to
request more info on this topic.  See:
<A HREF="http://www.enscript.com/pump/">Pumping Moms Information Exchange</A>
to subscribe.

The XL Glass shield is a blessing to women who truly can't pump with anything
else.
I recently helped a mom pump for a bb w/ complete cleft palate. She's still
pumping at almost a year!  She truly needed the XL shield and has purchased 3
(yes Three !) because they break so easily.   She is arguing w/ her insurance
co to pay for them as special equipment.

Good Luck.

Karen Evon, IBCLC
Maternal Expressions
Folsom, CA, USA