From:
Susan Horein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 09:16:34 -0600
I'm forwarding this from an LLLL/birth assistant colleage who is looking
for ideas to share with this mother of a baby having trouble latching on.
She has observed what she believes to be good positioning and has exhausted
the ideas in the New Breastfeeding Answer Book.  If you respond to me
([log in to unmask]), I will pass them on.  Thanks!  (Sorry for the upper
case, she's new to the computer and internet.)

>BABY: HAS DIFFICULTY LATCHING ON; NOT ENOUGH ACTIVE SUCKING WHEN LATCHED
>ON; IS 9 DAYS OLD; IS BEING SUCESSFULLY CUP FED; IS NOT TOUNGUE TIED;
>LIKES TO KEEP HANDS NEAR MOUTH; SOMETIMES KEEPS TOUNGUE ON ROOF OF
>MOUTH; WAS 9 LBS. 9 OZ AT BIRTH; 8 LBS. 2 OZ. ON DAY 4; WAS 9 LBS. 1 OZ.
>ON DAY 8; OPENS WIDE FOR NIPPLE, BUT LATCH ON OFTEN DOESN'T
>OCCUR.             MOM: HAD C-SECTION, WAS DISTRACTED BY DISCOMFORT AND
>VISITORS IN EARLY DAYS AND THEREFORE DIDN'T PRACTICE NURSING ENOUGH; WAS
>TOLD BY NURSES THAT NURSING WAS GOING WELL; VERY MUCH WANTS TO NURSE;
>PUMPS BEFORE FEEDING TO BRING NIPPLES OUT (THEY DON'T PROTRUDE MUCH);
>HAS LET DOWN AFTER 5 OR 10
>SECONDS ON BREAST PUMP; DOESN'T FEEL HER MILK LET DOWN; OFFERS BABY HER
>PINKY FINGER TO CALM HIM WHEN ATTEMPTS TO LATCH ON CAUSE FRUSTRATION;
>CUP FEEDS ABOUT ONE OZ. BEFORE OFFERING BREAST TO REDUCE FRUSTRATION;
>SUPPORTS BREAST AND SHAPES NIPPLE TO FIT BABY'S MOUTH; TRIES TO POINT
>NIPPLE TOWARDS ROOF OF BABY'S MOUTH. ANY IDEAS?

Susan Horein
Wisconsin, USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]