From:
Judy Holtzer Knopf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 11:19:30 -0800
Hi, all. I need some suggestions urgently.
I have a lady pV, very experienced bfg, baby 7 weeks. Baby has
had thrush "for several weeks". Mom had vag. candida just before term.
Mom complaining of painful nipples. One is a bit red, a bit swollen.
Baby's mouth in much worse shape. FP told mother that nipple thrush
"very, very rare", so mom treated self with baking soda and got relief
from symptoms. She got nystatin for baby, but I have a feeling that she
is not following dosage instructions. I think she is also using baking
soda for baby too. An even bigger problem is that her washing machine
(American) does not heat water, and her machine water inlet is only cold
water, so she has been washing on cold water only. Does anyone have any
advice for me to give her? She muttered something about trying to get
friends to help with the laundry contaminated with yeast, but not sure if
she's really doing it. Could she use bleach? What can she do with colors? I
told her to start using
nursing pads. I have this feeling that she and the baby will continue
passing it back and forth.....and last night she told me that while the
baking soda had again given her relief for her nipples, the baby had a
nasty rash in the diaper area. Sigh. I would greatly appreciate your
suggestions. BTW, I xeroxed Kay Hoover's fact sheet on thrush and asked
her to give it to her FP for the references.
I am going NOMAIL for a little bit, so please mail any suggestions
privately. TIA Judy Knopf in Beer Sheva, Israel