From:
michelle i scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 08:33:47 -0500
Heating proteins of any kind "denatures" them.   That means the amino acids
are broken down, usually not into individual aa, but into small clumps of
aa.   This makes them digest more quickly.  But, my understanding is that
microwaving reorders the fat globules into some differently organized
globules which MAY have deleterious effects.  No research available,  why
mess with it when you don't know.   Remember that many folks thought that
margarine was a great substitute for butter---now we know that the trans
fatty acids in margarine are not healthy fats at all.  And all it took was
moving some Hydrogen atoms around the carbon structure.     Michelle Scott,
RD,IBCLC