From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Dec 2006 08:44:22 +0000
A paper I wrote (with my PhD supervisors) giving some of the findings
of my PhD study has just appeared online:

http://www.internationalbreastfeedingjournal.com/

Feeding by numbers: an ethnographic study of how breastfeeding women
understand their babies' weight charts
Magda Sachs, Fiona Dykes, Bernie Carter
International Breastfeeding Journal 2006, 1:29 (22 December 2006)

I know that the routine situation with postnatal care is very different in
different countries so what I found here in the UK (in the Northwest of
England to be precise) may be very different from the situation where you
live and work.  In particular, only a few countries have a system of health
visitors, and well baby clinics which are freely accessible for all women.
However, there is really very little work aboutt he impact of routine
weighing on women and on breastfeedingwomen and breastfeeding, so this may
be of interest.

When I was thinking about posting about this paper, I was thinking that it
is rare, I think, for there to be discussion about qualitative research on
lactnet.  In my view we are never going to progress in changing things for
women so that their experience of breastfeeding is satisfying and for their
babies so that their experience of breastfeeding is adequate unless we
incorporate findings from both quantitative and qualitative research into
our practice.  During my literature searches I felt very tetchy about
writers who stick to one side of the picture.  You will see in this paper
that, although obviously the study is qualitative, I have attempted to
account for some quantitative findings in my intro and to allude to them.
Since breastfeeding is bio-psychosocial, this is the challenge of studying
it!

Magda Sachs
UK