From:
Susan Hergert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 06:43:47 -0500
I am sorry to send such a long post...I really try to avoid sending
anything over a couple of paragraphs but....this midwife has asked that
I post to the great lactnet minds regarding this very difficult case.
She would appreciate any help you can give. Send responses to me
provately (and to the list if appropriate).

Thanks

Susan>

Dear Midwives;  I have a client who gave birth about 8 weeks ago.
> > This was her third child.  I assisted her with both of her other
> > children.  Her first child (now 4 yrs old) was born by c-section
after
> > a two day home labor with failure to descend.  At the hospital, they

> > also tried to deliver with both forceps and vac-extractor, unable to

> > bring head down into position, so they operated.Second baby, (now 2
> > yrs. old) was born at home like butter.  About a month after she was

> > born, the mother went into a severe case of postpartum depression
> > (actually, it may be called puerperal hypomania) which led her to
> > completely disrobe and run through the street of her small town with

> > nothing but a towel wrapped around her head and jump into the river.

> > She swam into the middle of this river and was rescued about an hour

> > later.  She was hospitalized for 6 days and released in a condition
> > which I felt was not yet safe. (She still believed that she could
see
> > the spirits, including Jesus around us, etc.) She refused to take
the
> > meds that had been prescribed for her and she did this because she
> > wanted to breastfeed and had been told that she could not because of

> > the meds.  I feel like she did not completely recover from her
illness
> > for many months.  Her mother said it was more like a year.  She has
> > now had a repeat.  She had made a phone call to her friend and had
> > displayed the same kind of irrational talking so her friend had
> > another person go and check on her.  They found her in a sort of
> > catatonic state sitting against the wall and mumbling gibberish.
the