Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 13:50:59 EDT
Donna Ziztelberger wrote:
>Universal precautions require gloves be worn when in contact with blood
>or body fluids.  Therefore, it would be appropriate for the day care worker
>to wear gloves when handling breastmilk.

I would encourage those concerned about this issue to read:
Nommsen-Rivers, Laurie. Universal Precautions Are Not Needed For Health Care
Workers Handling Breast Milk, Journal of Human Lactation 1997; 13:267-268.

Human milk is not included in federal health agencies listings of body fluids
governed by universal precautions for blood borne pathogens which would
mandate handling and feeding with rubber gloves, according to LLLI’s Center
for Breastfeeding Information.

Cindy Scott Duke, MS, CLE
Davis, CA