From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 13:28:23 EST
In a message dated 3/26/00 5:20:07 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< I have started asking 'Has anyone sat with you and watched you feed from
the

time the baby comes to the breast until she is finished?'  Since, so far, no

one has said yes, this covers me as I can then explain that the feeding can

look different at different points.  It also suggests that that is what I

might do if I come, and since I do usually stay for that sort of time, thats

ok. >>

I find this is a good approach to avoid contradicting the hcp, as well. I
often state that babies sometimes initially latch on well, then slip down
during the course of the feeding. (Often, of course, that is not at all the
case--there is often poor latch from the outset). Since it is rare anyone has
observed an entire feed (and, in truth, rare that anyone who did would
recognize a problem), the mother is able to be open to me w/o feeling caught
in the middle.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA