From:
pat Bull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 1997 09:12:52 -0500

>So, what do you think?  The lumps are not surprising, but the fact that they
>resemble nipples, even with color, and that she could squeeze milk out!!!!!
> I have heard of accessory nipples (my son has one), but not of being able
>get milk out of them!

It was alittle different when I had my first case of extra mammary glands and
extra nipples.  Luckily, I was into my photography at that time, so I quick
called my photographer over and with consent, got pictures/slides of it all.
 A lactating mother may have extra or what is called accessory nipples
anywhere along her milk line which extends from the axilla (armpit) down to
the groin area.  Also, she may have supernumerary breast tissue.  The mothers
I consulted with were not aware of it until the transition into mature milk
occured.  (I hate "coming in") Some had several nipples, while others had
just the breast tissue.  Milk did come out of the nipples, but you just
counseled them to leave them alone and place ice packs on the areas and the
milk drys up.  I had one doctor that told one of the mothers "You can't
breast feed, you have too many nipples"  I could have killed him.  Instead I
gathered my thoughts and told the poor crying mother that she was lucky and
had extra ones, but first use the two biggest ones and she would do just
fine.  She did.
"Life is no brief candle to me.  It is a sort of splendid torch which I have
got hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as
possible before handing it on to future generations."  by George Bernard Shaw

Pat Bull, RN, IBCLC
The Breastfeeding Connection, Medela, Inc
Naperville, IL-  where someone dropped many inches of snow last night