From:
Michelle Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 04:59:10 +0000
I've been following an interesting discussion about first foods and nursing older babies/toddlers in an online discussion board.  There seems to be a bone of contention among a dietition and two breasfeeding professionals about how milk changes as a baby ages.  All agree that the nutritional/immunity aspects are dynamic and change to meet the needs of the child but one of the parties has asserted "During the third year, the milk typically changes to weaning milk which encourages a  child to slow down.   After this slow down begins, the milk gradually changes back to colostrum.  During this time, breastmilk continues to play a roll as far as immunities go but nutrient wise not so much."  And additionally it has been stated by the same individual "Weaning milk is salty milk that encourages the baby to nurse less and eat more.  It is more compact than mature milk but lower in sugars and higher in electrolytes (thus the salty taste).  Weaning milk continues to concentrate down to what
has always been referred to in my texts and by my instructors as colostrum.  Its generally clear or yellowish and available in small quantities until the child weans.  For unknown reasons, some moms, especially with babies who wean before the age of 4 keep weaning milk until the end.  For premies, this cycle is altered to include a premie milk up until around the due date."

I've never heard that breastmilk changes back into colostrum in the absence of pregnancy, especially in order to encourage a 3 year old child to wean, but I'm willing to learn.  Are there any soild resources/studies on this issue that I can learn from?  Regardless of who is right, I'd like to have some actual facts for my own benefit.

--
M. Green
Breastfeeding Counselor