From:
the juliest person you know <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Nov 2015 05:49:30 +0000
Date:    Fri, 6 Nov 2015 09:30:23 +0000From:    Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>Subject: Pumping frequency vs duration
Sally
What you describe - the mothers who "really want to breastfeed" but wont pump more than 3-4 times a day, sounds so familiar.  It's sad.  I think this is the outcome when breastfeeding has come to be undervalued by the mother herself, her peers, her family, in the hospital, in the community, by the healthcare system and especially as reflected in national policy.  In other words, breastfeeding is great up to a point (if it's easy) but it's just not seen to be worth the effort past a certain point (if it's hard).  Whereas formula-feeding is easy, and socially acceptable and often free (Healthy Start Vouchers).
. . . .
In solidarity....
Pamela Morrison IBCLCRustington, England-------------------------------------------------------
Date:    Fri, 6 Nov 2015 08:25:07 -0500From:    Doula <[log in to unmask]>Subject: Re: Pumping frequency vs duration
. . . .
And in one particular situation, a mom had been sexually abused.  Breastfeedingwas fine, but pumping was ABSOLUTELY out of the question.
—Kathy

Katherine Koncelik, CPD, CLC    -----------------------------
Pamela, it isn't necessarily the case that a mother who pumps only 3-4 times per day doesn't actually want to breastfeed.  A few clients of mine who truly did want to breastfeed simply didn't have the time to express milk.  It's almost always the single mothers or mothers whose significant others are working all day and don't help them at night.  One mother I worked with would take an hour and a half to feed her non-latching son a bottle or he would spit it all up.  And then she'd have to change him and hold him upright for another hour.  And then she'd have to repeat the process while getting a little food or sleep herself.  She couldn't pump or hand express because no one else was available to hold the baby.  Her son is probably the least healthy person I have ever met, and she's very pro-breastfeeding even though she didn't breastfeed, or perhaps because of it.  She told me that she finally understood why single mothers were less likely to breastfeed than married mothers.
Katherine, I find this interesting because some women have the opposite experience--they can't breastfeed directly, but they can pump or use a nipple shield.  Some can use a pump, but not hand express, or vice versa.  It's very individual.
And Virginia, yes, you are absolutely right about "expressing" vs "pumping."  All pumping is expressing, but not all expressing is pumping.
Julie Tardos, very tired from getting up early to take her daughter to 0 period color guard practice.  It will be over in a few weeks.
 ===="I asked a librarian if she had a book on Pavlov's dog and Schroedinger's cat. She said it 'rang a bell, but she was not sure if it was there or not.'"