From:
Mary Kay Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 17:33:02 -0600
That's what I get for being in a hurry. Yes, of course we put the
hydrogel OVER the antifungal ointment applied to mom's nipples. And the
nipples are rinsed with clear water before feeding the baby. I have some
clinical information from the manufacturer addressing the issue of what
is in the hydrogels; that has been a very hot issue in some of the
discussions I've been part of.  I don't have a forma protocol as yet.
I've kind of combined the ones on thrush and sore nipples thus far. But
my primary intent is to keep mom nursing. And anecdotally, I have seen
the soreness clear up within 3-5 days, then we toss out the hydrogels
(changed every other day) and never use them again. Of course antifungal
therapy continues until day 10...oral and topical for mom and oral for
baby. Seems to have worked so far in my test cases (about 25 this year).
If anyone else has input, I'm open for discussion. Another interesting
piece to this is the cases I've seen that were so awful, were in moms
who were group b strep positive and on triple abx IV (so was baby). I'm
going to start looking through my charts to see how old the babies were;
all were under a month of age,  that I recall.
Mary Kay Smith, IBCLC