Date:
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 10:43:32 EST
Lynn says,

> Unless there are other indicators that you didn't mention, the use
> of IV fluids during labor and larger wt. loss don't in and of themselves
> point to an inaccurate, fluid inflated birth weight. Many, many women
> (epidurals!) receive lots of IV fluids in labor.

But has anyone looked at these large numbers of IV fluids and correlated it
with the use of Pitocin which is an antidiuretic.  It holds fluid in the
system.  The baby also gets Pitocin during labor -- stands to reason that it
will hold fluid in the baby's system too.  How long does the antidiuretic
effect last?  I'm not sure.  (Can't find it in the PDR, and can't find Bob's
formulary....)

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with how long the induction lasts.  I rarely
see edema in women that have an epidural without Pitocin, or Pit used only
for stimulation.  I frequently see postpartum edema in women who have been
induced, especially if the induction lasts more than about 6 hours.

If Jan Riordan looked at fluid overload with JUST IV fluids and epidurals,
and didn't factor in (or out) Pitocin use, then maybe it gives one answer but
not another.  I haven't seen her study -- perhaps Pitocin induction was
factored in and it didn't make any difference in amount of weight lost w/
babies.  Does anyone have her study?

Thanks!

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC -- Wheaton IL
Lactation Education Consultants