From:
Jean Ridler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 20:49:08 +0200
Jan wrote:

> The housekeeper was cleaning her room all the while extolling the
 >benefits of providing breastmilk to a premie .....

This reminded me of the day that a local hospital was inspected by an
international team (and eventually became South Africa's first
Baby-Friendly Hospital).  *All* the staff had been trained, including
the housekeepers, kitchen staff and cleaners.  I was allowed as an
"observer" and we actually had to ask the team to please ask the kitchen
staff some questions as they were just bursting to share their knowledge
and enthusiasm.  It is a reminder to look for allies where you perhaps
don't expect to find them.  My admiration goes to all the hospital-based
LCs and their bruised heads!  I tried it for one year (long ago) and can
honestly say it was the worst year of my life.  (I was *not* working at
the above hospital!)

Regards,  Jean Ridler  RN  RM  IBCLC
mailto:[log in to unmask]