From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 11:05:28 -0400
Hello all, Coach Smith here.....

After watching the Chicago Hope episode, I'm convinced that we (in the BF
community) are doing a VERY GOOD JOB. Why? Because the "other side" now
needs to resort to such clever, subtle sabotage to attack BF, BFHI, and
related issues - a frontal attack is no longer politically correct. They had
to rehash the old Wall Street Journal stuff, probably had to stay up late at
night to find ways to twist the truth about BFHI (because the truth is EASY
to find), and prey on women's worst fears about breastfeeding, working, and
mothering issues. Controversy is entertaining, and they did a fine job of
finding the MOST controversial aspects of breastfeeding for the show.

"They" had to work so hard because WE are chipping away at the old tales,
one mother and one grandmother and one doctor and one executive at a time.
As Bonnie Jones said, if we weren't making a difference, they wouldn't fight
so hard. Right!

Three thousand cheers to Medela, Wellstart, AAP, ILCA, LLL, and all those of
you (us) who wrote letters, called, requested interviews, faxed information,
forwarded e-mails, wrote press releases, etc - collectively, we made a LOT
of valuable lemonade out of this event!

Hang on to those skills and phone numbers, because they surely WILL be
needed again.

Now, back to work.

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC
Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre