From:
Linda Spangler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 20:56:23 -0500
At the hospital where I work, a lab employee was told by her manager that
she could not pump during her breaks and at lunch time because it would take
too long.

The employee stood up to her manager, thank goodness, and told her that she
could not dictate what she did on her breaks, or how she chose to feed her
child.

After a conversation with Human Resources, the manager backed off somewhat,
but the poor mother still feels discriminated against.  The manager watches
her very closely to see that she is not taking more time than she is
allotted, while others in the department take 30 min. breaks for breakfast
and lunch, plus numerous smoke breaks during the day.

The mom does not want to make waves and she's always been a "good" employee.
What should she do and what can I do to make sure this does not happen here
again?  My state does not have a law to protect a women's right to pump at
work.  Has a bill  "in committee."

Linda Spangler, RN