From:
Fisher family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 1997 23:07:32 -0500
I use the following protocol with my adoptive moms:

Starting as soon as possible when they know a baby will be arriving, 6
to 8 weeks pre-adoption if possible:

1. 120 minutes of double pumping with an automatic cycling electric
breastpump per 24 hours, either 15 min 8x per day or 20 min. 6 x per
day.  (I tell moms a full-term newborn nurses approx. 30 min. 8 x per
day for a total of 240 min./day. Because they have a double kit they can
half that time but they still need to tell their bodies there's a baby
out there, even if there isn't quite yet!)

2. Domperidone 20 mg. qid, to be continued until milk supply is 100% of
baby's needs which may mean for total pre- and breastfeeding period
since most moms never develop a full supply.

With no domperidone moms get the first drops of milk in approx. 3 weeks;
with domperidone they get the first drops in approx. 8 days.  Note:  I
have had at least 100 clients using domperidone in the past 3 years, 5
of them for close to a year, (and I'm sure Jack Newman has had many
more) and none have ever experienced any side effects, including pp
depression.  I'm sure glad we don't have to use reglan here in Canada.

Once the babies have arrived mothers use the Lact-Aid Nursing Trainer,
the only supplementer I find encourages proper suckling by the baby, and
continue to pump as able post-feeds.

Hope this is helpful.

I am No Mail right now so please send any comments privately.

Joan M. Fisher, RN, BN, MEd, IBCLC since 1985
Ottawa, Canada