From:
Tammie Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 13:54:43 EDT
Hello all,
I have a client who is interested in relactating. Her infant is 3 1/2 mo.
old. He was weaned 6 weeks ago from instructions from the ped. because he was
extremely fussy and she was told he was lactose intolerant. She did not want
to wait the 2 to 3 weeks for the dairy products to leave her system so she
weaned and went to a soy formula. She is considering going back to nursing
but wants to know how difficult it would be and how long it may take. She is
grieving giving up the nursing. Her supply was abundant. From looking at the
archives moments ago on "lactose intolerance" in infants, I wonder if
possibly this was a supply problem and not an intolerance problem. I read it
may be more like lactose overload and not lactose intolerance. (Because the
infant might have been getting too much milk too fast) One-sided feeds might
correct this problem, because there is more lactose in the foremilk. Any
thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
On a more personal note. My 17 mo. nursling is irritating me because she is
on and off and on and off again, when she nurses. This kind of nursing is
making my nipples sore and is very irritating. I do not want to wean because
I believe she will be my last baby and I would love to prolong the nursing
experience. I weaned all of my others (except my first, who I had difficulty
nursing) at around 19 mo. I can remember being irritated with nursing and
that was my reason for weaning them also.
WIC Peer Counselor,  Tammie Gregory (Mom of seven breast fed babies)