From:
Cindy Swize <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 16:21:24 EST
In a message dated 2/25/01 10:20:51 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Date:    Sun, 25 Feb 2001 08:45:56 -0000
>  From:    Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
>  Subject: Re: LACTNET Digest - 24 Feb 2001 (#2001-305)
>
>  "The truth is, breastfeeding is nothing more than normal" -- and we should
>  be using breastfeeding outcomes as the yardstick to measure other outcomes
>  against.  So, for example, 'breastfed babies are healthier'.  Well, no.
>  Babies who are not breastfed are not as healthy.
>
>  Magda Sachs
>  Breastfeeding Supporter, BfN, UK

Hi,

My name is Cindy.  This is my first post.  I have been reading this list for
a while and as a result find myself a firmer supporter of breastfeeding than
in the past as I was quite ignorant about the subject.  I also agree
breasfeeding is quite normal and by the time I have children, I would hope
that the medical community is more enlightened than they are now.

But, I must tell you, I am almost 32 years old.  I was born 6 weeks early and
weighed less than 4 pounds.  I was bottlefed.  I have taken antibiotics twice
in my life and get a mild cold, perhaps once a year.

I am not less healthy than breastfed babies.

There are people in existence who do not fit that profile.

 And, it is harder for me to see the virtues of breastfeeding when I read a
negative conclusion about my upbringing that is, as it pertains to me, a lie.

I do not wish for anyone to censor themselves or feel self conscious when
they post, but do keep in mind no one can be so neatly categorized.  If I
breastfeed exclusively, no one can guarantee my child will, absolutely,
without a doubt, have less illness than a bottlefed child.  I am living proof.

Please consider qualifying statements when you post.  For, example, "Studies
indicate the overwhelming majority of children who are breastfed have a
significantly lower occurrence of illness than children who are exclusively
bottlefed."

This type of statement piques my curiosity and compels me to learn more about
why that is.  Simpley claiming that non-breastfed babies aren't as healthy as
those who breastfeed turns me off.

Thank you for reading.  Everyone have a good day.

Cindy