From:
Kershaw Jane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:32:14 -0600
Our hospital already has medication bar-coding system in place.  We're
just using that for the breast milk.  The pharmacy has created a barcode
for medication - breast milk.  They send labels with baby's name (same
as medicine).  You scan the milk, scan the baby.  That's it.  Not hard,
not expensive.  Labels can be made in the pharmacy OR you can buy a
labelmaker for the floor.  WE have 2.  It's worth it.  ON the
never-frozen milk.  If it reaches 24 hours, we freeze, not discard.  We
put a blue dot on the milk once it's been frozen - so you can
distinguish ever=frozen vs never frozen milk. Thanks to Paula Meier.